Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Being a Global Citizen


За да видиш статията на български, посети този линк.

Sometimes there is a moment in life when you experience a lot of things for a short time. Later you feel like time goes by so fast, but in the same time it feels like a lot more time had passed. For me last 6 weeks were like several months. So many things changed for me, I learned so much more, and I created so many memories. In fact, this is what makes is who we are and what measures time, and more specifically the time we live – it’s the memories we keep.

I went to Kazakhstan in February-March 2015 to make leadership workshops in university in Almaty. I decided to go there very spontaneously, mostly because I did not know almost anything about that part of the world. In the beginning I was concerned if I will be successful in this, because I had never been in the position of a teacher before, and I had never been to Asia as well, so I did not know the mindset and culture of people who lived there. What I saw and experienced though, not only made all of my fears disappear, but also made me really happy and lucky to be a part of this society and its reality.

I found out that I enjoy teaching and I had the chance to learn how to do it better and better. I had different partner every week, so I had constantly something new and interesting in my work, I improved my teamwork and I learned how to work with totally different types of people. Also, I had the chance to see different leadership and teaching styles in action and take something for me, as well as give something from me to them.

During those 6 weeks I got to know the culture of Kazakhstan and the ways it differs or looks alike our in Bulgaria. I saw a society that is very organized, has faith in people around and demonstrates integrity every day. I learned what makes them happy, what makes them conservative, what places they like to visit, how they share time and emotions with each other. I learned about our common ancestors, which was very fascinating and made me feel Kazakhstan like home.

I received a lot of feedback about myself and my behavior – literally and indirectly, so I had the chance to think about what I do and how, and improve myself a lot in interacting with people, teaching, sharing, dealing with different institutions, etc.

I met great people; I got many friends from different parts of the world, and got to know their world as well. Imagine living every day for a month and a half not only in amazing Kazakhstan, but in hospitable Russia, imagine laughing in expressive Italy, partying in Hungary, then eating in China, going to cinema in India, being crazy in Japan and meeting the kind Indonesia with its big and opened heart.

I went through so many adventures and I learned how to improve myself a lot. I learned to trust people more and to let go of stress. I learned to enjoy the moment and every process I go through. I learned how to be more effective as a part of the society, how to let go of the old and start from scratch without feeling sorry about the past. 

I got to some big conclusions as well. I realized that my country is not the only one that has problems, and now I know I can be part of the solution. I know I have a voice and I can make a difference, and that every single person matters. I saw how my actions and reactions influence people and I got more responsible and aware of myself. I confronted one of my greatest fears – the fear of heights, and I climbed the second biggest canyon in the world. The feeling is indescribable. 

For the last 10 years I have been travelling as a tourist. This is the second time I spent enough time in another country to experience life as a local, but this time I had so much fun and productive time that so far this is the most important trip of all. To go on this internship is one of the best decisions I had ever made in my life.

I am grateful to all the people that I met and to everything that happened to me there. Kazakhstan and its people will be always in my heart. And I can say for sure – if you are under 30 and you believe there is more in the world for you, if you believe world can be a better place and you search for a solution, or even if you just want to see what is happening on the other side of the world, the Global Citizen program is definitely for your To-do list.

Thank you, AIESEC! Keep calm and continue creating positive impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment